Thursday, September 26, 2013

Some Days are like Tuesday

Some days are hard. Some days are exhausting. Some days I want to run back to the States where things are so much easier. But some days are like Tuesday. When you begin to see with your own eyes, change. When every dime, frustration, doubt, fear, question suddenly becomes worth it all. And when you glimpse of hope.

Tuesday was a busy day for all of us (all included Mera translating, Margot helping and myself). Wednesday I was scheduled to leave to go to a conference on Honduras so I was trying to get everything done before leaving. That meant going to Santa Cruz for our weekly English class at the school that morning. After class ended, we went to have lunch with a very special and vibrant lady named Lilian. The tamales she made were delicious but unfortunately we had to eat and run.

Run to see our Solohope ladies which was about 30 minutes from where we were. It was so important that I saw the ladies before leaving because we are preparing to ship our first box to the States for a Christmas photo shoot when I return from the conference. We had been putting the final touches on a necklace (Oops! Did I just let that slip!) and needed to make sure it was completed.

When we arrived at Maribel's house, it was later in the afternoon so Dilcia and Maribel's children (they are all sweet friends) were home from school and ran out to meet us as we walked up to the house. As we exchanged greetings, I caught a glimpse of their work in the corner of my eye and pretty much ran to see the beautiful necklaces they had perfected. Oh I am so proud of them!

We sat down and started talking about different color combos I would like to see the necklaces in when I return from the conference. After which, I took a deep breathe and prepared to hint at how many bracelets and other items I would want made in time for Christmas. I asked did they want to know now or when I returned. Now they said. I told them item by item and watched my translator's face as even she was nervous about translating the amounts.

I was prepared for them to say it was too much. That they couldn't do it. But they didn't. Instead they thanked me. They thanked me for the work. I started crying. I whispered, "It's an honor." and truly it is. I don't know why I had the reaction that I did. Maybe because my thoughts trailed to people in the States fussing about their jobs not wanting to work (been there) and here before me sat two ladies with their children gathered around them filled with gratitude. I was so humbled and suddenly filled with such determination. A God-given determination to see this project, this business succeed. It is about a new life for these families and I will work my a-- off to do whatever necessary to see them win.

Twice I have recounted this story. Both times tears joined me again. When I talked to my mom about this experience and again started tearing up, I said I'm not exactly sure why I keep having this reaction. My mom with ever so much wisdom said what I couldn't seem to articulate. "It's seeing this vision you've had for years come to fruition, seeing the change that it's actually making, the difference these women are experiencing in their lives."

It's real now. Not a dream in my mind. No longer just a vision on paper. It's a vision coming to fruition. A dream coming to life. There are real lives being impacted--not just the idea of lives being changed but real life people, families being changed. And that is why it is so overwhelming. I wish I could take what I'm experiencing and transplant it into your heart and mind so you would know exactly what I'm talking about because I fear I am not communicating my heart effectively.

This is just the beginning. There's a lot of work to be done. There are deadlines to be met. More difficulties and risk to be seen. But as we all joined hands before leaving Maribel's home and prayed together and thanked God that He was there with us. He has gone before us. He has prepared the way. He is in our midst and I am thankful. We are all so very thankful.

Visit www.solohope.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment