Saturday, May 31, 2014

This Roller Coaster Ride

In truth, today is probably not the best day to sit down and try to write this blog post. I'm kind of a worried mess right now. You know, crazy doubts and questions racing through my mind at unreasonable speeds. How's this going to happen? Was that the right decision? Oh crap, here's another bill to pay? Why are things not coming together faster? Are these risks worth it?

Have you ever been there?

So obviously I'm there right now. This journey of starting and growing SoloHope has been full of ups and downs--very similar to a roller coaster ride. At times, I want off the roller coaster. I want to throw in the towel and quit. I want to whine and complain and say it's too hard!

But then I take a step back and remember...

I remember the smiling faces of our artisans. I remember how vulnerable they were as they shared their stories last month. I remember the pride our artisans had when they showed me their new cookware. I remember them posing for pictures beside their new comals (stoves). I remember singing happy birthday in Spanish to our artisans and sharing cake with the kids from the community. I remember the laughter we shared over my inability to catch a guy (yep, that topic comes up in Honduras too). I remember the joy as they talked about having the ability to send their children to school. I remember their gratitude as they thanked me for starting SoloHope. I remember how so many have come along and stood beside me in this journey. I remember God is faithful.

And then I remember why I am doing this.

Is this journey easy? Heck no! It is by far the hardest thing I've ever done. But is anything of great value ever easy? I know, cliche but nonetheless, true.

Bear with me for a minute as we talk some Southern cooking. (I have a point, I promise.) In the South, our mamas can make the best homemade mashed potatoes. Maybe the same is true for mamas of the North. But you can't beat Mama's homemade mashed potatoes. They are the best but they do take some time to make. You have to peel a bazillion potatoes, then cut them up, boil them and then drain them. Then you have to add milk and butter, grab that hand mixer (or potato masher) and start beating those potatoes until they're fluffy creamy mashed potatoes. It takes some time but when you're done, those mashed potatoes are oh so good!

I can't really say the same for instant mashed potatoes. You open a package, pour "the contents" in a bowl, add water or milk and then put them in the microwave. Sure, they're easy and fast to make but I'm sorry, they just aren't the same. And believe me, you can tell the difference. I can't stand instant potatoes! But often times I find myself longing for that concept of instant potatoes to be applied to my life.

You know, Lord, why can't SoloHope be instantly successful? Why can't it be easy? Why can't it be a risk-free process? Why can't I have a little extra money in the bank so this process doesn't hurt so much?

Anything of great value takes hard work and time and patience and perseverance. It doesn't happen overnight. For all the people we like to call "overnight successes," we weren't there with them as they put their blood, sweat and tears into their businesses and organizations. We didn't see the inner workings of their minds to know how many times they almost quit. We weren't there with them to account for all the time, some of them years, before they became an "overnight success."

It's worth it.

I know that SoloHope is worth every frustration, every tear, every disappointment because I have seen the impact. I remember for what reason I started this journey and I'll keep running hard.

Lives are worth it. 

Hope renewed is worth it. 

Families empowered is worth it.

Women overcoming poverty is worth it.

Dreams resurfacing is worth it.

I'm not gonna quit. Does the thought run through my head at times? Yes. Obviously. But I thank God for the determination He's given me for SoloHope. I thank God for the opportunity to work with such amazing women in Honduras who are inspiring me every day. I thank God for sending people who are giving of their time, resources and talents to make SoloHope a success. I thank God for this idea that grew into a vision and then a reality. I thank God for not sending me out to walk this journey alone but going with me every step of the way. And I'm not gonna lie, I thank God that we will not always be in the same place as we are at this very instant. I thank God that things will keep growing and succeeding beyond my wildest dreams because in fact, they already have.

-Emilee

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory... Ephesians 3:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment