Thursday, August 22, 2013

Oh, this Place!

Oh, how I love this place! Over the past ten years, I have travelled to this country more times than I can count but as the plane prepared to touch down in Honduras, I couldn't stop the smile that tugged at my lips. I had arrived to my home for the next four months (...maybe longer).

The next three hours as I rode to La Esperanza (the city I'll be staying in), the handicraft of the our Father simply amazed me again and again as looked over His beautiful creation. Mountains. Valleys. Beauty. Oh I've seen it all before but there's something about the beauty of this country that never EVER gets old. If you can look at this creation and fail to believe in its Creator, you really are a fool (Psalm 14:1).

I arrived in Honduras on Sunday. The first few days have been spent getting settled and assisting the missionary, Lavearn Brooker (President of Lantern of Hope) I am partnering with on a couple different projects. That meant going to Santa Cruz, a community I have had the privilege of working with for several years in partnership with Lantern of Hope. It was such a sweet reunion with the people. The children would run up to me calling my name "Emilee". How precious is it to be remembered! And oh how I remember when these little ones were, well, smaller, shorter. Now some of them are challenging me in height.
This precious little girl is Emilee. Yep, she was named after me! She had definitely grown.

Today I was especially excited to meet with the Solohope ladies, Dilcia and Maribel. This is at the heart of my time here in Honduras. My sweet friend (and translator), Margot, went with me to Buenas Aires where Dilcia and Maribel live. The journey to Dilcia and Maribel began with a walk to the bus station and then a bus ride, then catching a mototaxi and then a little more walking to Dilcia's home.



When we arrived, Dilcia's daughter, Oma ran out to meet us. She led us behind the home to where her mother and Maribel sat working on bracelets in the gentle breeze. I was overjoyed to see them. We began talking and planning and discussing ideas. The excitement in their eyes matched mine. I showed them sketches of some new products I have had in mind and asked if they thought they were possible. They were enthusiastic and said they would begin on the samples. The joy of doing this goes back to one thing though--Jesus.

I am constantly reminded of James 2:15-17...

Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food.  If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?  In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

The point of Solohope is to meet a physical need so then a spiritual need can be met. And we are in the beginnings of meeting both. Margot, who has such a heart for giving Jesus, and I asked Dilcia and Maribel could we do a short Bible study with them each week. They said yes! Which I must admit in the Honduran culture it was improbable that they would have said no but it's a start of planting seeds.

After we waved good-bye to Dilcia, Maribel and Oma, Margot and I started the trek back to where the buses depart for La Esperanza. As we were walking and talking, we heard someone behind us but did not realize they were calling for us. Soon little Oma comes running up behind us to catch us to give me my pen that I had left sitting on their table. It was just a pen but they did not want me to be without it. I'm not really a crier but if I'm honest I could begin to feel the tears start to form. How much that meant to me. It is these precious memories I will forever treasure in my heart.

What an honor it is for me to be able to be here. Thank you to all who make it possible. Like Lela and Dilcia who help make up "Team Solohope". They shared the heart of Solohope with the WMU group at Magnolia Baptist Church in Cairo. I am so thankful for them! Thankful for the ones who listened to the vision and heart of Solohope. Thankful to ones who bought bracelets last night (and of course, any other time, like right now ;) go to solohope.org and purchase yours!) I am thankful to God for making this all possible. How humbled, honored and happy I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment