Thursday, August 15, 2013

News

This is a newsletter I sent out a few weeks ago about my upcoming time in Honduras and my heart
behind going. Enjoy.


"I have starred at this computer screen so many times trying to determine how to write this letter. Usually I love writing to my support system about what God is doing in my life through missions but for some reason, this one has been hard. Then this morning I was reading in James and read this:

“Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him,  
“Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs,
 what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.”               
                       James 2:15-17 

That’s what I feel like God is calling me to do, to put legs to my faith. On August 18th, that’s exactly what I’m doing. I’m getting on a plane and I’m flying to Honduras where I will be for at least the next four months. This is exciting and nerve-racking all at the same time but I know this is where God is leading.

In December 2012, I launched a business called Solohope (Spanglish for “Only Hope”) where I am working with a couple of ladies (Dilcia and Maribel) in Honduras who are making bracelets that are handcrafted of pine straw and thread. It is a beautiful unfolding story that I feel absolutely honored to be a part of. For the longest, I’ve had this vision of working with women in third world nations to create products from their available resources that could then be resold in the States. It has been amazing to watch God’s perfect timing unfold and this sustainable vision begin to come together.

Over the last year, I’ve had the privilege to work with Dilcia and Maribel and develop and improve products over quite some distance. (Technology is amazing!) Although we’ve made it work, communication has been hard when needing to communicate changes to products, colors, new products, etc. and I had begun to see a need to be on the ground in Honduras to continue to grow this project and prayerfully see it expand possibly to other countries. I’ve tossed the idea around in my head for a while but truthfully had grown somewhat attached to my lifestyle of consumerism and convenience in the States. But God….

He has worked on my heart. I assumed He would make my dedication to the growth of Solohope available through a completely different means than what I see now. I was certain He would send me a husband who would say “Emilee, you just quit your job and work on Solohope.” Ha! God did not meet those expectations! Instead He is exceeding them. He is having me turn to Him as my ultimate Source, not a husband, not myself but Him alone.

I am beyond excited for these next few months. I ask for your prayers and support. The overwhelming prayer request that I have is for wisdom. I will be doing a great many things I have never done before and feel completely unprepared for but thankfully I serve the God of wisdom. Please pray also for someone who feels lead to keep Solohope running and growing Stateside.

I will be going to Honduras under the covering of Lantern of Hope, Inc. (LOHI) and will also partner with Ms. Lavearn (LOHI missionary) on various projects she has in place now. I am so thankful for Ms. Lavearn’s encouragement and mentorship over the years. She has always believed in me and has never believed impossible. It will be a privilege to again get to work with her before her transition. Pray for her work.

Each of you have been a part of my family over the past years and my adventures in missions. The journey continues and I’m so thankful to have each of you along for the ride. You can learn more about Solohope and purchase your Solohope bracelets at www.solohope.org and also follow my personal blog www.emileeconnell.blogspot.com. Love you all and thank you for your prayers and partnership!"

No comments:

Post a Comment