Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Coming Back

I wish I could explain what this place does to and for me. It's like coming home. Everything is so different from my life in the States but oh how I do love this place. Something happens to me the second the airplane lands and I look out the small window to see the tiny adobe buildings scattered about lining the runway and the lush green plants that invade my view. It immediately puts a smile on my face and a calm over my whole being. What most people don't know is that almost every time I get ready to leave for a trip, I don't want to go. People ask am I excited and honestly I don't know how to answer so my response usually ends with not much more than a shrug of my shoulders. But the second I'm here, all that disappears and a peace and calm overcomes me.

That in itself is fairly ironic for this place that feels like home is usually anything but peaceful and calm. Honduras represents such unrest and poverty that peace is rarely a word used to describe this beautiful nation. Poverty tries and has succeeded for many years to wrap chains around the people. Violence has rocked this nation to its core. The evidence of that is in the heavy military presence that once wasn't there. But I suppose it's those things that assure me that I am right where I am supposed to be. I am feel peace, calm and safe knowing I am right in the middle of God's will for my life.

My arrival yesterday was non-eventful (except for that one flight attendant thinking that bump was something breaking off the plane mid-air but it wasn't). When I got off the plane and walked onto Honduran soil, everything began to click over to my Honduras life. Yes, one of my first thoughts was "Don't flush the toilet paper." followed closely by "Don't get in hurry." That pretty much summarizes life in Honduras. Okay, maybe not quite but close. I got through customs, found my bags, switched phone chips, bought a baleada for lunch and then went to find a taxi, which wasn't hard to do. I felt truly accomplished when I was able to tell him where I needed to go in Spanish and then haggle down the price for the taxi ride because I already knew the going rate.

When I arrived at the bus terminal, I found my bus fairly quickly and was able to shoot a text to my mom to let her know I was here, something I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do. In an effort to interrupt communication between gangsters/drug lords in prison with those on the outside, the Honduran government has basically cut cell service. Most Hondurans have been without cell service for 15 days but somehow smartphones still seem to be working (thank God for my iPhone!).

Riding the bus is always a fun experience. I don't think you've truly seen Honduras until you've seen it from a bus (and the back of a truck). I sat by the window and let the wind tangle my hair. I took in the sounds, the smells (the smell of sugar cane was the best) and the sights. Every time I see these beautiful mountains, I am overcome by the fact that I serve the God who created them. There is one scene of this valley in the midst of all the mountains and the rays of sun seem to highlight it perfectly, I can't help but wonder what the people who had the privilege of being the first to see it must have thought. I am certain they stood before it staring at the majesty of it all and said to themselves or aloud "This is where God must live." It is that beautiful and there's no picture I could take to show you that; you'll just have to set eyes on it yourself.

I arrived in La Esperanza right before the sun was beginning to set. I caught a taxi to the hotel I'll be staying at this month. It's in front of my good friend, Margot's house and the owners are so very sweet. I unpacked my things and organized a bit and truly I love my little room--nothing fancy but simplicity is so....simple and refreshing.

Today I've visited with friends, bought a few things to make sandwiches and have so enjoyed walking in this beautiful sunshine! Tomorrow the SoloHope work (or fun) begins and I am confident that God will again as He always does bless this time and use it to draw me closer to Him as well as those who work with SoloHope. Pray for us. We have lots to do and now I can truly say I'm excited about this month. Pray that we don't lose focus but keep our eyes on Him and remember to see the beauty and peace of His presence all around us.

I lift up my eyes unto the hills--
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heave and earth.
Psalm 121:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment